Thursday, February 12, 2009

Biopsy, yet again. 3 vets in 4 hours...

Fortunately, all over the phone. Busy day for my cell!

  • Onco vet says she doesn't believe the conclusions of the bone biopsy report. Wording was a bit iffy to her, and she'll have the slides forwarded to her trusted pathologist. Never hurts to get a second opinion. The case, apparently, is so interesting that she is discussing it with colleagues at work. She also said that the little masses in his chest were in the lymph nodes and not in the lungs. Wow, a little ray of sunshine there! She wants Brian to stop the Deramaxx and switch to Prednisone.
  • Surgeon vet, while secretly exasperated and believing the first malignant report, concedes and tells me to "follow my heart". He wanted to make sure I had no unrealistic expectations; assured him I had none whatsoever. A true professional respecting his clients' crazy wishes, I must say! He'll do the lymph node biopsy and bone marrow aspirate (diagnostic tests for lymphoma), and will send the goodies to the onco vet's pathologist.
  • Regular vet says good luck. We discussed having a necropsy done (morbid, I know) due to the very bizaare nature of this case that has got several experts scratching their heads. That'll nail it down for sure.

Scheduled the biopsy for Monday. All the vet techs and receptionists know my voice now, as they don't even wait for me to introduce myself over the phone! Sorry Bri, here we go again. Say goodbye to one of your lymph nodes.

In the midst of all this insanity, the most important question to ask is: How is Brian, nowadays, anyway? Mantra: Focus on the dog, not the cancer! He's okay, seems like we've hit a plateau for now. Lethargic, limpy, and will not eat boring ol' dry kibble unless it's completely wrapped in ricotta cheese. Though he was all-out begging for sausages last night. All in all, he's still alert and happy to be with his pack. Plenty of tail/butt wags and paw high-fives.

No comments:

Post a Comment